Tuesday, March 27, 2012

They call me Mama Harr

It has been over a month since I last posted.  That isn't because nothing has happened, but because so much has happened!  I think children prepare you for their departure by either keeping us so busy running around for their activities that we are ready for them to leave or by being so busy that they are never home so that it is already the norm.  It is some of both in our house. 

My daughter has decided to participate in the Miss Bixby Scholarship Pageant for the first time this year.  She heard "scholarship".  I heard "pageant".  This is not Toddlers & Tiaras, but it is outside my comfort zone!  There are many events leading up to the pageant for moms and daughters, for the whole family and for the girls themselves.  There have been mock interviews, practicing our talent in the garage and shopping for dresses and shoes.  (FYI - you can only buy size 5, closed-toe, high-heeled shoes on-line.)  I also learned that they don't sell many long dresses for petite sized girls, so I have now learned the only tailor in town that will alter a beaded dress.  (I can pass this on to anyone who needs it!)  In addition to the pageant, she decided to be in the school musical, Kiss Me Kate, as a dancer which included many practices and 3 performances.  She also decided that the pageant dress would not work at a prom dress, so more shopping. 

There is also the new summer job.  Lifetime Fitness is about to open and they are hiring about a million high school kids to work the kids activities.  There have been multiple interviews, paperwork to fill out, training on-line, training in person, etc.  I hope she gets to work as many hours as she has spent getting and training for the job!

Luckily, last week was spring break.  For the past 5 years, she and I have gone on mission trips with Asbury Student Ministries.  This year was bittersweet knowing it might be my last year on a mission trip and my last spring break with my daughter.  We were in Guatemala for the second year in a row.  What an amazing trip! Nothing like a week of serving and spreading God's word and love to the beautiful people of Guatemala to bring our lives into perspective.  Every year, the last night is Senior night and the juniors each pick a senior to pray over.  It is a very emotional and up-lifting experience hearing the kids pray for each other and loving on each other.  It is even harder when your child is one of the seniors.  But after all these years, I feel like all of them are "mine".  They are the ones who gave me my name, Mama Harr.

No comments:

Post a Comment